Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hanging with the ox carts




Well much has happened since I last wrote (which is primarily the reason for me having not written). I have begun teaching classes. The classes that I am mainly doing at the moment are English classes for uni aged students. These are run through the church and have a couple of different levels. I take the harder class and then take the conversation class afterwards. The class sizes are very large so I constantly annoy my students with table rearrangements, trying to come up with effective ways to be near them all (and therefore stopping the back rows from feeling inconspicuous – and talking). I have however, already bribed students with biscuits and have caused endless amounts of entertainment with my roll calling abilities (I have learnt that Cambodian names tend not to be things like ‘Tom or Nick’.

My lovely Bong Srey Christie has returned home since I last wrote on a surprise visit and will be home for Christmas. I am sad that she is not here, but her family I’m sure is not! :p The English classes are usually taught by her every day, so I have a high standard to live up to.

I am also taking a class of kids who live about 45 minutes away. They have not really had any English lessons and reside in a tiny class room with a little white board. Last time we were told that there would be 25-30 kids, we were doing craft so we brought about 50 sets of things. There was over 70. When Shirley goes home, I will also be taking her three classes at the orphanage. That is a rather difficult group to take too, because they range from about 2 years old to around 16 years old- each with a varying knowledge of the English language. I’ll also be teaching bible and craft there (being the super crafts-woman that I am).

One of the projects going on at the moment involve running Christmas parties for struggling churches/orphanages etc. These parties have a Christmas puppet play, some games, a message about Jesus, a meal of curry & noodles, and each child receives a Christmas pack. These Christmas packs contain stationary, some toys, some clothing (kind of like mini shoeboxes) and little bits and pieces. This past week my main task has been buying for and packing these bags...and trust me, the novelty of pretending to be an elf only lasts for so long. We have to make over 1,300 of these packs for the thirteen parties we are doing.

This weekend we travelled to Kampong Chnung and did two Christmas parties. To get to the orphanage and the church we had to drive, then take a boat, then a tuk tuk on very bumpy roads. It was a super tuk tuk that fit all 7 of us in...it had no back though, so being on the end I concentrated on not falling out. The first party was so lovely. The kids were amazing and so excited looking through their bags. By the second party we started refining our program and had the people being the voices of the puppets stand in front of the screen so that they could be heard (this meant that I had the privilege of being the lion..which was fun except that I didn’t know what he was saying and holding your arm up for that long tends to create a build up of lactic acid). I also ran the games. We played a game that was kind of like ‘Simon Says’ as well as ‘Heads and Tails’ which were good – but LET ME KNOW IF YOU KNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES WE CAN PLAY!!! Remembering that there are usually 200+ kids who are in a very confined space. At either of the places were there close to enough bags. We took the stationary out of the bags and gave them to kids separately, but even that didn’t cover the numbers. It was a bit sad, but it couldn’t be helped. They all got to eat and participate in the program as well as hear the message.

As we travelled through the country side we were constantly a source of amusement, with every person stopping and staring as we passed. A lot of people waved, some boys on bikes blew kisses and many just stopped and watched the funny white people bumping along in the tuk tuk.

It was a fun, but tiring couple of days. We just got home and here I am faithfully spending my rest time writing to you. Feel appreciated? You should.

>Pictures
Half the kids waiting for their curry to be brought out.
In the Tuk tuk (with star of the puppet play, Mr Emu)

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear about what you are doing, i don't know if anyone else reads these kind of things, but i enjoy catching up.. although you dont hear from me lol.. One ended catch-ups. Keep posting more so we know you are alive and well!
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like they are making the most of you over there; you sure are one busy bee hehe. Hmmm no games spring to mind for 200+ kids in a confined space (I'm guessing heads down thumbs up could be a little chaotic lol.) Keep up the awesome work! Oh, and the blog too of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. s'wonderful to read what you are up to,and glad that you are getting around and seeing different places,what wonderful memories you will have.All at curves missing you but delighted that you sound so happy...Cheers willy

    ReplyDelete