Monday, November 30, 2009

Malaysia- the land of monorails, tacky billboards and very sweet bread.


It has been almost a week since I left the sunny shores of Australia and arrived on the even sunnier grounds of Cambodia.


My budget flight (we build our planes from icy-pole sticks . com) caused me to have a brief stop over in Malaysia where I spent the night. Malaysia was good to see, I would have liked to spend more time there. I paid to go up the Tower of KL as I didn’t have enough time to go to the free one and line up- I have discovered that money can really be used to save you time. There were lots of things that this relatively expensive pass allowed you to do, but due to a slightly more important prior arrangement (aka a flight leaving) I had to rush/skip things. The cheap-skate in me cried out in pain while the logical voice in my head reminded me of the cost of a new flight should I miss the one already paid for.


Malaysian ponderings:


- Cheap airfares = tiny planes = bad. Pay extra money to avoid constant advertising announcements, lack of television and room to turn your head when trying to sleep. However, I ate my own cherry-ripe (no bringing of your own food). That showed them.


- Australian men are a lot more chivalrous than those I came in contact with. I discovered this having lugged 2 months worth of baggage up and down about 100 monorail steps.


- Having said that, Monorails are cool. Unless you permanently had to carry around a gigantic suitcase, then they would not be cool.


- You have to eat food extremes. Everything is either a dessert or a full meal, there is no middle ground. However I also discovered that lots of junk/dessert like food can act as the equivalent of a full meal.


- Don’t laugh at the advertising billboards- the overdone expressions are not a joke.


- Mimicking is the most effective way to not look stupid.

>If you are approaching some kind of machine that you are required to do something to, fumble through your bag as though you are looking for something, wait until someone goes in front of you (remember the lack of chivalry, consequently this is likely), then replicate.

>Note that you should replicate it exactly. Don’t apply the same principle to another machine, it does not necessarily work.


- One should plan what they are going to do after the travelling before putting on plane clothes, otherwise you end up in chanel getting funny looks.


- I think Mum plans everything so that you don’t have to sit in the hotel lobby for twenty minutes studying the assortment of maps you have acquired to determine how to find food.


- Once you get the hang of those funny machines, man tourists are annoying.


- I only open my map when sitting at someone’s table/cafe, too embarrassing otherwise. Subsequently I have had a lot of drinks.


- If you receive a random sms it is because I have thought of something witty and due to my lack of travelling partner, have found repressing it too hard.


- “Oh I didn’t know you had to go downstairs for change” translates to “keep all my change, it’s only about the equivalent of my meal”.

My country has ill-equipped me for tipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment